West Lulworth

a Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC network

St. Andrew’s Farm

St. Andrew’s Farm and Cottages were transferred to West Lulworth parish from East Stoke parish on 24 March 1888, by Local Government Board Order.


St Andrew's Farmhouse was built in the seventeenth century on site of an earlier Manor House (possibly dating to 1288 or 1303). The farmhouse is built to a rectangular plan and is of two storeys with stone walls and a tiled roof. The central porch dates to the mid eighteenth century and there have been later alterations. A few seventeenth century stone mullioned windows remain. St Andrew's Farmhouse is now used as offices by Lulworth Army Camp.

373/7/10000 Barn to the east of St Andrew's Farmhouse
 

GV II
Barn, currently in use as a store. Circa mid C17; partly rebuilt in the C18 and extended in the C19. Stone rubble with ashlar jambs to porch; rebuilt west end English bond red brick, some vitrefied. Gable-ended roof re-clad in metal sheets.
PLAN: Eight and half bays; central threshing bay has 2-bay porch on south side. Later outhuts on south side and on east end and addition on west end.
EXTERIOR: The south front has large gabled porch to cart entrance with ashlar jambs with plinth moulding and later brick outshuts to left and right; said to have buttresses on original front wall of barn, now within outshuts. At rear [north] a cart entrance at centre, now a window and to right [west] rebuilt brick wall in English bond.
INTERIOR: Three trusses at west end replaced with late C19 king-post trusses. Six C17 raised jointed cruck trusses with cambered collars with curved braces, diagonally-set trenched ridgepiece, three tiers of trenched purlins; the common-rafters and some of the purlins missing. The scarf joints on cruck blades and the curved braces to the collars have interesting 'false tenons' in the form of separate tenons, serving as pegs through the braces into the principals, pegged from the side and projecting from the face of the braces. The 2-bay porch has tie-beam trusses with cambered collars. C20 suspended ceiling conceals the roof.
A largely intact C17 barn with interesting carpentry jointing detail in the roof structure.

Source: English Heritage


Image courtesy of Google Earth showing aerial view of St. Andrew’s Farmhouse

now within Lulworth Army Camp

Ground floor plan of St. Andrew’s Farmhouse

now used by Lulworth Army Camp as office, workshops & store

St. Andrew’s Farmhouse