West Lulworth

a Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC network

If you know of any events not listed below, please email info@westlulworth.org.uk

Index of Past Events





















1697

Dec 24: the Dove, carrying a cargo of wine, was wrecked off Lulworth.

1734

Records mention ‘a small wrecke having been thrown upon’ a farm at West Lulworth.

1745

Oct 23: unidentified wreck at Hamburrow Farm, Lulworth.



1789

Aug 3: The King and Queen of England, as part of the Royal tour, landed at Lulworth Cove and went from there to see East Lulworth Castle.

[Information extracted from Parish Registers]

1825

Jan 29: The hand of benevolence has been again extended towards the poor of West Lulworth: the Duke of Gloucester has given orders for blankets and other clothing to be distributed among the aged and infirm in that village.

[Report appeared in Salisbury & Winchester Journal 31 Apr 1825]

1825

Dec 11: A ship, [Vigilant],  was wrecked a little to the West of Lulworth Cove, laden with barley for Africa (probably involved in the slave trade); 7 men and a boy on board - only one man saved - the rest drowned. The man saved was hauled up the cliff with a rope.

[Note extracted from the diaries of Henry Rolls]

1825

A Silver Medal was awarded to Owen Lloyd, a coastguard, for rescuing the mate of the Vigilant wrecked at Lulworth Cove, Dorset on 14 December 1825. The Master, four men and two boys of the Vigilant drowned.

[Source: RNLI]

1828

May 11: Three dwellings and two barns were burned down at West Lulworth. One house was saved by using wet blankets.

[Note extracted from the diaries of Henry Rolls]

1831

Reform Riots

1832

Jul 4: Thomas E. KNIGHT, Coast Guard at Lulworth was thrown over the cliff by smugglers and died the next day

1833

Mar 2: The Abeona, from Milford, became a total wreck in Lulworth Cove; crew, cargo and materials saved.

1841

Jun 7: Census

1841

Jan 28: Five of West Lulworth's fishermen were drowned when they were returning to West Lulworth from Weymouth.

[Note extracted from the diaries of Henry Rolls]

1841

Jun 24: The mill at West Lulworth was burned down.

[Note extracted from the diaries of Henry Rolls]

1842

West Lulworth Church was made larger during the summer of 1842; while the work was being done, the West Lulworth congregation attended services at St. Andrew's Church, East.Lulworth.

1851

Mar 30: Census

1854

The new road to West Lulworth was begun in October, 1854 up Burngate Lane. It began to be used in August, 1855 - first of all by the coal waggons who brought the coal, brought by ship to West Lulworth, to the Castle.

[Note extracted from the diaries of Henry Rolls]

1860

Aug 30: Dorchester Rifle Corps came to the Castle and then went on to West Lulworth.

1861

Apr 7: Census

1862

National School built

1870

May 11: A new church was built at West Lulworth and opened.

1871

Apr 2: Census

1881

Apr 3: Census

1891

Apr 5: Census

1901

Mar 31: Census

1902

Apr 3: King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra visited Lulworth Castle, after sailing into West Lulworth on his yacht.

1906

The Volunteers encamped at West Lulworth during August 1906; about 3,000 of them.

1909

Parish Hall erected. It continued in use until 1997.

1911

Apr 2: Census

1914-1918

The Great War

1915

Aug 21: Lance Corporal Bertie Whittle and Private Ernest Budden, both born in West Lulworth, were both killed in action on the same day on the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey

1928

Apr 26: King George V visited the Army Camp

1939-1945

World War 2

1953

Lychgate at Holy Trinity dedicated by the Bishop of Salisbury

1974

Sep 4: Yacht, Elver, wrecked in Lulworth Cove

1979

The 36ft yacht Caroline of Leigh foundered three miles off Lulworth with the loss of four lives.

2005

Mathew Myburgh, 16, was swept off rocks and into the sea in a violent storm, along with his 15-year-old friend Charlie Morrell.

2006

Apr: Lulworth First Responders formed. The group of volunteers, who live and work in Lulworth, provides 24-hour cover in early response first aid to potentially life-threatening illness or injury.

2007

Sep: West Lulworth & Winfrith Church of England First Schools officially merge. Reception and year one schoolchildren are educated at the Winfrith site, while years two, three and four are based in Lulworth.

2009

Sep 14: A total of 14 fire engines plus support units Unoccupied cottage . Minor damage to pair of thatched cottages in