West Lulworth

a Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC network

Directories - 1855

1855 Post Office Directory


WEST LULWORTH, a parish in the liberty of Bindon, locally within the Hundred of Winfrith, 7½ miles south-west from Wareham, on the shore of the English Channel. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Winfrith Newburgh. The church is a small structure, with nave, chancel, and low square tower. Lulworth Cove, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity; it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded with steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock,” about 1 mile from the cove, has an opening of about 20 feet, through which a view of the sea  is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with a lieutenant and 10 men. The parish comprises about 3,240 acres, chiefly the property of Joseph Weld, Esq. The population of the parish, in 1851, was 401.


GENTRY

Barnes Mr. William

Chapman Thomas Andrew, esq

Crispin the Misses

Phillips Rev. Henry, B.A.

Rains Captain James, R.N.


TRADERS

Barnes Samuel Smith, farmer

Barnes William, miller

Beaton Rebecca and Ann (Misses), farmers, Burngate

Charles Henry Martin, shopkeeper

Clark Robert, tailor

Dorey James, wheelwright

Dorey Thomas, blacksmith

Dorey William, farmer

Randall Edward, farmer

Parmiter Mary (Mrs.), farmer, St. Andrews

Randall William, farmer

Richards Henry, Cove inn, & grocer

Roe Thomas, ‘Jolley Sailor’

Runyard John, shopkeeper

Snelling Henry, baker

Winzar Mrs. Harriett, fishmonger


POST OFFICE. - Henry Richards, receiver. Letters arrive from Wareham at ½ past 10 a.m.; dispatched at 3 p.m.


Top