West Lulworth

a Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC network

Directories - 1865

1865 Harrod’s Directory

LULWORTH (WEST) is a parish in the liberty of Bindon, locally within the hundred of Winfrith, distant 7½ miles S.W. from Wareham. The church is a small edifice with nave, chancel, and a low square tower. Lulworth Cove, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity; it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded with steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock,” about one mile from the cove has an opening of about twenty feet, through which a view of the sea  is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with an officer and ten men. The parish comprises 3,240 acres. The population in 1861 was 446.

POSTAL REGULATIONS. - George Richards, receiver. Letters arrive from Wareham at 10 a.m.; Dispatched at 3 p.m. Post town, Wareham.

Barnes Mr. William

Crispin The Misses

Gilder Rev. Wm., M.A.

Randall Mr. Edward

Rains Mrs.


Barnes William Collins, miller

Beaton Misses Rebecca and Ann, farmers, Barngate

Charles Henry Martin, shopkeeper

Clark Robert, tailor

Dorey Mary, shopkeeper and coal dealer

Dorey William, farmer and wheelwright

Randall Thomas, farmer

Randall Brothers, farmers

Richards Geo., Cove hotel and postmaster

Ricketts William, blacksmith

Roe Thomas, Castle inn

Snelling Henry, baker

Tucker Samuel, farmer, St. Andrews

Winzar Mrs. Harriett, fishmonger

Listings for years:  1875, 1923 & 1931