West Lulworth - Directories - 1889

West Lulworth

a Registered One-Place Study and part of the Dorset OPC network

Directories



Kelly’s Directory - 1889



WEST LULWORTH is a parish and village situate on the shore of the English Channel, on the margin of Lulworth cove, and surrounded on the land side by hills which shelter it from the north and east winds, in the Southern division of the county, liberty of Bindon, locally within the hundred of Winfrith, petty sessional division of Wareham, union of wareham and Purbeck, county court district of Wareham, Dorchester rural deanery third portion, Dorset archdeaconry and Salisbury diocese, 9 miles south-west from Wareham and about 6 south from Wool station on the South Western railway : it is provided with pure water from the chalk. The church of the Holy Trinity was rebuilt in 1870 from the design of the late J. Hicks esq., : it is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel and nave, north aisle and transept : the base of the tower forms a porch and principal entrance : it stands near the west end of the church on the south side : only two bells remain : the other two are said to have been sold to the parish of East Lulworth many years ago. The register dates from the sixteenth century. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value about £150, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Gerard Williams MA of Merton College, Oxford. Here is a Congregational Chapel, built in 1835, Rev. Robert Brown, minister. LULWORTH COVE, in this parish, is a great natural curiosity : it communicates with the sea through a deep channel, and is surrounded by steep and lofty cliffs. The “Arched Rock” about one mile from the cove, has an opening of nearly 40 feet, through which a view of the sea is obtained. Here is a coast-guard station, with a chief officer and eight men. The land is chiefly the property of Reginald Joseph Weld esq. of Lulworth Castle, East Lulworth, who is lord of the manor. The soil varies : subsoil, chiefly Bagshot sand : and the chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and pasture land. For area see East Lulworth : rateable value, £1,645. The population in 1881 was 339.


Top